Jonah is 3.5 and we just celebrated Christmas. I have such a love/hate relationship with that holiday. It seems it's never really done until it is. You can never do enough baking, shopping, decorating... the work seems to be never ending! Expectations are high and seldom met...
But on the other hand seeing Jonah's excitement over his presents was pretty amazing. The necklace I got was something I really wanted and will always treasure... our families were so generous and all of the gatherings were just lovely.
While spending Christmas Day with the Dickey family I couldn't help but think constantly of how Christmas was at the Elliott household growing up. Every year "grandma's bread" topped the list of every grandchild. Amazing the magic a family recipe beholds.
In fact every time I experienced Grandma's bread it was while surrounded by a jovial family gathering of sorts. Christmas dinner in Lake Park with Grandma's beautiful Ruby Red table....Thanksgiving in Robbinsdale with Nick and his family... midnight toaster bread in the basement of Lila's house with Jenni and Heidi. It was nothing to consume the entire loaf in one sitting and in fact the only reason you wouldn't was because you were savoring every morsel.
It never dawned on me until Christmas this year the significance of Grandma's bread. I'm so thankful for all the memories surrounding it, and for the woman who created it all.
I love you Grandma.
No comments:
Post a Comment